click this button to book your appointment online
fast & simple to use
Community acupuncture is the practice of providing acupuncture in a community setting. The benefits are:
- A strong therapeutic effect - All living things generate magnetic and electrical energy. Acupuncture increases the flow of these energies, which aid in healing. All living things exchange energy. When people receive acupuncture together electrical and magnetic energy is collectively magnified and its therapeutic value increases.
- Affordability & accessibility - A sliding fee scale allows more people to access acupuncture and to use it as a preventative, long-term health practice.
- Less isolation - Being treated in a group is a powerful social experience. To be in the quiet presence of others during a treatment reminds us that we are not alone. Reducing isolation can strengthen a person's resistant to disease.
What is Acupuncture used for?
- Reduce Pain
neck pain, low back pain, joint pain & inflammation, headaches, migraines, injuries, fibromyalgia
- Improve reproductive health
P.M.S., menopause, cramps, no period, fertility enhancement, low libido, urinary tract infections
- Treat skin disorder
Eczema, psoriasis, itchy dry skin
- Boost immunity and energy level
Lowered immunity, allergies, prevention and recovery from colds and flus, chronic infections, sinusitis, fatique, low vitality
- Manage the side offects of drugs and medication
A walk-through of how it works:
Receiving acupuncture in a group setting is like taking a yoga class. There is no verbal interaction between clients and people just do their own thing. Although some people come in groups, most come in on their own.
Treatments are received in recliners rather than on tables.
Your clothing stays on because we only needle points on the upper and lower limbs, head, chest and abdomen. These are called the jing-lou points, which are very effective at treating many kinds of pain, ailments and illnesses.
First visit (1 hour, 15 minutes)
On your first visit, an acupuncturist will do a treatment assessment that involves discussing your health history and any information you have about your health issues. We will also answer any questions and help you get orientated to Six Degrees.
Subsequent visits (1 hour)
Payment and scheduling occur before treatments. This system allows us to run the centre more efficiently.
On each visit your practitioner will do a 10-minute intake with you. Be prepared to discuss:
- How the last treatment was for you
- Update them on how you're currently feeling
- Any new and relevant information regarding your health issues
Time to get poked - Roll up your sleeves and pant legs
If you are sound or light sensitive, now is the time to get out your earplugs, MP3 player and/or eye mask - if needed, we can provide these.
- Bathroom break - Visit the loo, if you need to
- Get a recliner cover (and blanket, if you want) and choose a recliner
- Cover the recliner with the sheet
- Take your socks off, roll up your sleeves (to the elbow) and pant legs (to the knee)
- Recline! most of the recliners have a handle on the right side, if yours doesn't then lean back firmly into the recliner
Relax and sit back
Now your acupuncturist can get to work and you can relax. Sit back, let the treatment do its thing:
- We will keep an eye on you
- You can make eye contact with a practitioner if you need anything
- When your treatment is finished an acupuncturist will come to remove the needles
- Take a moment to collect yourself, stretch and relax
- Bring the chair back to its upright position, fold up the recliner cover and leave it on the chair
Spread the Qi:
- Copy and paste our sample email. Personalize it! Send it to your family, friends and coworkers!
- Get the people you love and care for in for treatments! Having relationship issues? Come in as a couple and make it a date
- Tired of hearing your friend, coworker, neighbour complain about their sore foot, hip, low back? Tell them to get poked
- Are people at work constantly getting colds, flus, infections? Send them a memo
- Is your boss, supervisor, business partner constantly irritable and grouchy? Convince them Acupuncture helps productivity - hand them a brochure
- Are the working group(s) you belong to feeling beleaguered and not so fun? Include Community Acupuncture (CA) in your agenda, come get treatment together as a group
- Want to really appreciate, celebrate someone you admire? Give them a "Gift of Qi" - get them a gift certificate
- Are there organizations, small businesses you support? Regularly leave postcards there
- Gossip about us on Facebook and Twitter @communityacupun
Community Acupuncture (CA) and group building at work
Is there a way in which CA can benefit the groups and organizations you work with? We're interested in using acupuncture in conjunction with your group building processes and events. For example, CA is an excellent modality to use in conjunction with business retreats, and counselling programs. It also works well as a remedy for group "burn-out" (especially community and/or social justice work) and helps to resolve tension and conflicts. Here are some ideas on how CA can work in conjunction with other programs:
- Discussion, counselling, mediation groups
- Empowerment workshops
- Organizational retreats Self care and/or preventative health workshops
- Creative expression (writing, dance, theater)